Berenguer & Associates is pleased to provide our residents with 24 hour Emergency Service. Hopefully, you’ll never need this service, but if you do, you will certainly appreciate having our trained service staff just a phone call away. Emergency Service is just that: service we provide to you in the event of a true emergency. We have developed a response procedure for emergencies and other situations that arise during non-business hours. We believe that if you know what to expect from us, you’ll be better prepared to deal with an unexpected event.

-Time to look it up on a website? Probably NOT an after-hours emergency!


No Heat in your property when outside temperature is below 60 degrees Fahrenheit.

  • This is only an emergency in extreme cold weather in winter time and when the heater is not working due to mechanical malfunction. Prior to giving us a call please contact your gas or electric provider to confirm that there are no current service disruptions in your area or that your account is up to date and has not been shut off due to non-payment, service transfer request, or other reason. 

No Air Conditioning/Cooling when outside temperature is above 90 degrees Fahrenheit.

  • This is only an emergency in extremely hot weather and when the HVAC is not working due to mechanical malfunction. Prior to giving us a call, please ensure you have properly maintained and serviced the HVAC system, recharged the cooling system, and have contacted your electric provider and have confirmed that there are no current service disruptions in your area or that your account is up to date and has not been shut off due to non-payment, service transfer request, or other reason. 

No electricity in your property.

  • Blown fuses are not considered after-hours emergencies. Please familiarize yourself with your fuse panel and/or breakers. In some instances the fuse panels or breaker boxes may be in both the apartment and the basement. You are responsible for keeping 15 or 20 amp fuses on hand just as you are responsible for your own light bulbs. Electrical outage may be considered an emergency ONLY if there is no electricity throughout the property AND you have contacted the local Energy provider AND your local electric provider is not at fault and you have checked all circuit breakers by flipping them to the OFF position and then to the ON position and have reset any and all GFI breakers (these are the little buttons sometimes found on outlets in bathrooms, kitchens, laundry rooms, and garages) OR any fuses have been checked and replaced if burned out.
  • Partial outages do not constitute an emergency. If a wall switch or outlet begins to smoke or smell like it is burning, turn off the switch or unplug items from the outlet and turn off the circuit breaker or remove the fuse, then report the problem during normal business hours or via the online portal.

Gas Leaks or “Smell of Gas”

  • First, exit the home immediately.
  • Second, please contact your gas provider immediately from a phone NOT located in the property. Sparks from phones, even cell phones, can ignite gas. Natural gas has the unmistakable odor of rotten eggs. If you suspect an appliance is leaking gas, turn off the appliance and turn off the gas supply to that appliance (you should be able to find a shut-off handle somewhere on the supply line) and contact 9-1-1 if you believe anyone may be in danger.
  • Third, call our emergency maintenance line to REPORT the issue (let us know).
  • Fourth, contact your insurance provider for assistance.

Major Water Leak / Flooding in the property

  • Call immediately if there is risk of damage to possessions or the property and you cannot contain the leak. Turn off the water valve to the broken pipe or to the exterior water main, if you can locate it, until a contractor arrives. Do everything within your power to contain any leaking or flooding and, if necessary, contact other residents who may be affected by the leak.


  • Call 9-1-1 immediately!
  • Then call us and contact your insurance provider

Carbon Monoxide

  • If you have gas heat or water, you should have a carbon monoxide detector installed—most of our properties with gas already have such units. They may be purchased at most any hardware or home improvement store. Carbon monoxide cannot be smelled.
  • If your carbon monoxide detector sounds, take the following action: If no one is exhibiting symptoms of CO poisoning, then check the detector. If it is a battery operated one, take it outside. If it continues to sound, it is defective (or the battery is low).
  • Otherwise, get all family members outdoors immediately
  • Call 911
  • It is preferred that you leave all windows and doors closed provided everyone has left the apartment. This will allow a more accurate reading of CO levels to be measured when the Fire Department responds. Any open doors or windows may allow CO gases to dissipate before the arrival of the Fire Department.Total stoppage of the plumbing drain system

Toilets, Sinks, Bathtub, Draining Issue

  • If none of your sinks, tubs or toilets function properly.
  • Stoppage of one toilet or drain when other bathrooms are functional is not an emergency.

Any other “Life-Safety” or “Property Protection” issues arising from storm damage or criminal damage to the property.



No Hot Water in your Apartment

  • This may be considered an emergency ONLY if there has been no hot water for an extended period of time: days not hours.
  • In the event of no hot water, and it is not during a contractor’s normal business hours, we may be unable to repair the problem in as timely a manner as we would like, so be resourceful in the meantime.

Clogged or Backed Up Toilet

  • This may be considered an emergency ONLY if there is only one toilet in the unit AND you have made every effort, including plunging, to clear the stoppage yourself.
  • In any case, turn off the valve behind the toilet, shut the lid and clean up any mess – due to health issues Berenguer & Associates’ representatives will generally not begin work until the area is cleaned up and essentially free of bacterial contaminants.

Noise Complaints or Security Issues

  • Please contact the Police by dialing 9-1-1.
  • If the problem is not serious enough to involve the Police, you still may wish to make us aware of it so we can address the issue properly by submitting an inquiry through the online portal or giving us a call during normal business hours.

Locked out of your property or any problem involving your lock and/or key

  • If you are locked out of property you will need to call a locksmith. Lock-outs are not after hour emergencies.
  • THE LOCK MAY NOT BE CHANGED unless absolutely necessary – and it is the Resident’s responsibility to ensure that any new lock is re-keyed to our masters.
  • If you are locked out during normal office hours, please stop by our office to sign out a spare key. This spare key must be returned to the office by the close of business the same day.
  • Keycode doors are slightly different and you may call the emergency line after you have taken reasonable steps to enter the property (getting others to share their code) and there will be a keycode reset charge.


Call us at 888-470-4535 and you will automatically be forwarding to the after-hours emergency queue if calling outside of normal business hours. It is very important you leave a detailed message to the receptionist. Calls to the emergency line for non-emergencies, may incur a minimum $25 after-hours charge per call. For the best response when you call the after-hours emergency service, please provide: Your full name Your complete address Your telephone number And a description of the problem. Please remember that you must leave your telephone number with the emergency service and you must be at home in order for the maintenance technician to respond.

Missed Appointments, Neglect and Unnecessary Service Calls

  • The resident is responsible for the payment of any invoice for which a repair was made for damage, etc., caused by their misuse or neglect. The resident is also responsible for the payment of any service call charged by a contractor for:a missed appointment for not providing access to the unit when requested, for not leaving any keyless bolting devices unlocked and/or not following other instructions resulting in the contractor not being able to gain entry to the property in the event that there is a pet that the contractor feels is threatening in any way for other reasons that are clearly the fault of, and/or are under the control of, the resident that do not allow the contractor to complete the necessary work. Residents may cancel an appointment by calling our office during regular office hours and speaking with a member of the management staff no less than 90 minutes prior to their scheduled appointment with the contractor.